I am really excited to show off the bag I made for the bag swap.
Everyone in the swap put forward their likes and dislikes for the bag that they would be receiving. I tried to make my bag with the following things in mind.
* Medium size
* Worn over the shoulder
* Bright colours like red's and blue's
* No yellow
I originally bought some red Antique Treasures fabric from Spotlight (which I love) but following some further research as to the meaning of "retro" I decided I was way off the mark and purchased some full on retro Dick and Jane fabric from this fabulous Etsy seller instead. I LOVE the Dick and Jane fabric and thought it was the perfect opportunity to use it. After all, what is more retro than that?
I found this bag pattern that I really liked so proceeded to make a trial bag using the fabric I originally purchased from SL. I was happy with how it turned out but knew I wanted to
1 - use a lighter interfacing on the contrast band around the top of the bag
2 - make it a 2 handle bag instead of 1
3 - add a zippered pocket
There were many attempts with the zippered pocket but I got there in the end and was so proud of myself :D I was, however, disappointed in one side of the bag. I wanted each side to look completely different but I only cut 1 square across whereas I should have turned the fabric around completely for a different pattern altogether. This resulted in one side having the words D&J perfectly lined up with the pleat between the words and the other side being off centre :-( That is my only disappointment with the bag.
Overall I was really pleased with the bag. If it just so happens that the recipient of my D&J bag decides it isn't in fact suited to their taste, please don't just pop it in a cupboard, contact me for all expenses paid return postage details...please!
Unfortunately I couldn't cut this out again since I'd already messed it up once already :-(
and this is the trial bag I made with the Antique Treasures fabric I bought for the actual bag before deciding to go with the Dick and Jane fabric instead. I saw someone else in the swap use this fabric but in the blue print, lovely!